Job posting number: #7070088
Posted: September 20, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionWant to experience being on the leading edge of a new scientific industry analyzing recreational marijuana and marijuana products? We are looking for a Laboratory Manager who will be responsible for performing and overseeing the daily operations of an established cannabis testing laboratory. This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated individual who enjoys an invigorating work environment in a budding industry. You will be the Manager responsible for all laboratory operations which may include supervising several analysts depending on work load. Primary workflows will involve bacteriological testing, HPLC and GC-FID analyses.
Peak Analytical is an established cannabis testing laboratory serving clients throughout Alaska, all the way to the North Pole. The cannabis industry in the great State of Alaska is always growing and changing and is sure to keep you on your toes! With the right laboratory manager, growth and direction of the company are limitless and flexible. We are a small company and provide a professional-casual environment. We want our employees to enjoy working everyday; music and laughter are encouraged. Our employees are encouraged to have a healthy work/life balance. Regular business hours are Wednesday through Sunday 10-6, with occasional short tasks on off days. This position requires minimum 40 hours per week.
The Manager supervises and assists all laboratory activities and analysts. The Manager is responsible for all aspects of the laboratory including analysis, equipment, supplies, software, documentation and staffing; excluding writing or modifying the Quality Assurance Manual, Policy Manual and Standard Operating Procedure Manual. The Manager may, at times, perform all laboratory duties pertaining to analysis of samples from receiving samples through destruction of samples and associated correspondence with the State of Alaska and their METRC tracking system. It is the responsibility of the Manager to ensure that all laboratory activities are run safely and efficiently. Under direction, the Manager assists the Scientific Director, performs other duties as assigned and shall conduct themselves in a manner that reflects favorably on Peak Analytical. The Scientific Director is located off site and will coordinate appropriate tasks with the Manager as necessary.
Serious applicants should request a complete job description via email.
This position includes healthcare (optional) and an IRA retirement account with employer match up to 3%.
• Oversee or performs receiving, tracking, analyzing, reporting and disposing of client samples.
• Ensure that all laboratory activities are run efficiently and safely; maintains conformance with the Peak Analytical Safety Policy.
• Maintains laboratory equipment and evaluates its performance by assessing quality standards, performing routine and major maintenance, troubleshooting issues, ensuring staff compliance with equipment best practices and established procedures, certifying instrument performance, arranging equipment replacement, service and repair.
• Maintains laboratory supplies and inventory necessary for the ongoing and continuous operation of the laboratory; including anticipating needed supplies, ordering supplies, verifying receipt and condition upon receipt and logging supplies in appropriate log books.
• Maintains laboratory productivity and efficiency by monitoring workload of functional areas; identifying peak and slack periods; making operational or staffing adjustment.
• Maintains quality results by participating in internal and external audits; adhering to the Quality Assurance Manual; consulting with the Scientific Director; performing proficiency surveys; reviewing data, including quality control and quality assurance programs and work; suggesting adjustments in policy and procedures to the Scientific Director; generating reports; maintaining records.
• Maintains laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems; recommending improvements; establishing priorities; writing user manuals; training employees; maintaining security and confidentiality.
• Participates in maintaining laboratory staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting and training employees.
• Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
• Maintains laboratory staff results and efficiency by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies if available.
• Resolves technical problems by consulting with the Scientific Director or technical staff; when necessary consulting with outside technical support organizations.
• Collects payment for services by completing requests for service (Chain of Custody).
• Perform administrative duties; public relations, reporting, filing, records retention, financial tracking and reporting, METRC reporting, completes various forms and reports as needed.
• Ensure that the laboratory is always operating in conformance with the latest edition of 3 AAC 306; maintain a thorough understand of the latest edition of 3 AAC 306.
• Ensure that the laboratory and personnel are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regarding safety of people, work place, work flow and equipment.